Company: American Water
Posted on: June 26, 2022
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the
largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water
and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400
dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based
drinking water, wastewater and other related services to more than
14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides safe,
clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to
make sure we keep their lives flowing.
Our teams are committed to customer service, operational excellence
and delivering high-quality, reliable drinking water and other
water-related management services.
Our primary business involves the ownership of water and wastewater
utilities that provide water and wastewater services to
residential, commercial and industrial customers, treating and
delivering more than 1 billion gallons of water per day.
Responsible for project management, engineering design, bidding,
and construction management, etc. on multiple small to medium size
projects relating to various aspects of the business.
Responsibilities may also include the technical supervision over
consulting project engineers, technicians, CADD operators and/or
**We are accepting applications from entry level to more Sr. level
Engineers for this role. Level (Engineer/Staff Engineer/Engineering
Project Manager) will be determined from years and relevance of
- Manages multiple small to medium size projects and perform
varied engineering assignments associated with planning, design or
- Assist in the preparation of technical, bidding and contractual
documents associated with delivery of capital investment
- Ensure scope and quality of work achieve the intent of all
- Concepts and Company standards for capacity, performance,
reliability, safety and regulatory compliance.
- Develops technical information and concepts into feasible and
effective engineering approaches.
- Develop strategic and strong working relationships with
engineering firms, vendors, and contractors.
- Provide technical expertise on engineering and operational
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering design theory and
practice, project management, construction and contract management,
water resources, water/wastewater facilities and utility
- Knowledge of current trends in water quality and treatment and
other aspects of the regulated and non-regulated water
- General understanding of US regulations (commercial and
environmental), legislation and trends impacting the water
- Sound business acumen and judgment.
- Process, project and program management skills.
- Quantitative Skills (e.g., analytical, technical, problem
- Effective people management (e.g., planning, organizing,
controlling and leading teams).
- Written and verbal communications (e.g., fluency in report
writing and presentations).
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening,
cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) preferred.
- Minimum 2 years experience in water resources engineering and
project managementTravel Requirements
- 20%Work Environment
- 80% Office
- 20% TravelOther
- Supervises field and contract personnel to ensure timely
completion of assignments, within budget and adherence to
- Adhere to Engineering Standards, specifications and, equipment
manufacturer recommendations to support Center of Excellence
- Coordinate the pre-qualification and selection of consulting
and construction organizations for projects using negotiation or
competitive selection process.
- Establish project budget and cost.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and
providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open
and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and
information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues
across the business.
- Competencies (from the Water Division Competency
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business
issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and
general business experience.
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in
a compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its
- Organizational Awareness - The knowledge and development of
formal and informal business relationships with key stakeholders,
internal and external to the organization, that enable business
objectives to be accomplished.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by
developing and contributing specific technical or professional
knowledge, skills and experience. Demonstrates a professional
- Strategic Focus - Looks at the big picture, thinks about the
business as a whole, both within its own environment and in the
global marketplace, and creatively identifies new horizons.
- Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to
achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a
work group, and valuing individual perspectives and
innovationCustomer obsessedDrives ResultsNimble learning
Keywords: American Water, Gary , Staff Engineer, Engineering , Gary, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!