Consumer Loan Underwriter
Company: Horizon Bank
Location: Michigan City
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Responsible for analyzing direct and indirect consumer loan
applications and providing customer service to Horizon Bank branch
advisors and dealership staff. Direct responsibility to underwrite
secured and unsecured Consumer Lending products (HELOCs, HE term
loans, direct auto/vehicle loans, mobile home loans, unsecured
loans, lines of credit and other approved products) across Indiana,
Michigan and other approved states, in compliance with state and
federal regulations, company policies and established Standard
Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Support efficiency improvements and strategic objectives
necessary to achieve or exceed consumer lending goals. Responsible
for underwriting loan requests for new and existing clients,
growing loan and deposit portfolio and generating fee income.
Ensure client relationships are profitable and partner with other
areas of the Bank to meet all of the financial needs of the
clients. Work within a team to ensure loans progress through the
pipeline timely and efficiently. Represent the Bank to both
internal and external customers in a courteous, professional manner
in face-to-face, written and telephone communications. Accountable
for adherence to compliance standards including Bank Secrecy Act
(BSA). Actively protect confidentiality of customer and account
information. Demonstrate Horizon Bank's commitment to the
communities we serve through involvement in local organizations and
- Analyze consumer credit reports for Consumer Lending
applications to evaluate risk and make appropriate credit decision
for department across our footprint.
- Review credit applications for completeness & accuracy as well
as potential cross-sell and counter offers and submit
recommendations to Retail branches and/or Manager.
- Review documents to support credit decision (verification of
income, tax returns, personal financial statements, trusts and
additional supporting documentation, etc.).
- Order and review documents to underwrite within stated Consumer
Lending guidelines and applicable regulations (flood, appraisals,
title, other documents as necessary).
- Formulate and communicate credit decision (approve, decline or
counteroffer) in compliance with established underwriting
guidelines, compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Review pipeline applications to maximize production, meet
stated service level agreements, service guarantees and business
- Provide superior quality service to internal and external
customers at all times and demonstrate professional demeanor while
building rapport with customers to achieve mutual goals across
branches and dealers.
- Ensure Consumer Lending credit authority is followed and
appropriate approvals obtained when needed.
- Review credit applications and recommend decisions to
management on applications that exceed the stated assigned
- Maintain adequate delinquency and charge off ratios to consumer
lending portfolio and an acceptable exception ratio with minimal
- Provide underwriting expertise in all categories of
transactions; apply analytics and guidance in required structuring
and terms in order to balance the risk and rewards of the
transaction in an attempt to win the business.
- Provide expertise and guidance in negotiating and documenting
loan transactions with branch staff and dealers.
- Assist less experienced underwriters with the day to day
analyzing and reaching decisions on all consumer loans.
- Assist in the training of less experienced underwriters and
Qualifications & Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Time Management
- Effective Questioning
- Customer Focus
Keywords: Horizon Bank, Gary , Consumer Loan Underwriter, Other , Michigan City, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!