Part-time Detention Officer
Company: Porter County Juvenile Detention
Posted on: November 24, 2022
The Porter County Juvenile Detention Center is established to
provide safe, secure and temporary custody to juveniles who are
accused or adjudicated of conduct subject to the jurisdiction of
the Juvenile Court who require a physically restricting environment
for their own or the community's protection.
The Porter County Juvenile Detention Center provides a short-term
program designed to house juveniles in a safe, secure environment.
The Center has a ZERO tolerance policy towards any form of abuse or
The Center follows a Behavior Management Program. The intent of the
program is to allow juveniles to use their time spent in the Center
in a positive and constructive manner.
By rewarding responsible behavior with increasing privileges, the
goal of this program is to help juveniles develop a sense of
responsibility for their actions. The program encourages behaviors
that promote mutual respect and positive interaction between the
juvenile, juvenile's peers, and staff.
This position reports to the Shift Supervisor/Detention Manager and
is responsible for monitoring and supervising behavior and
activities of assigned juvenile residents in a secure facility.
*Job Duties: *
* Supervises detained juveniles, enforces rules and administers
consequences. Assesses whether juveniles need to be placed on
alerts. Provides for physical and psychological well-being of the
* Conducts intake, admission, transfer and release procedures.
Completes required documentation.
* Assists in maintaining detailed records including residents'
appointment schedules, case notes, incident and injury reports, and
daily behavior report.
* Aids in the transportation of residents to and from the center
for various appointments as directed.
* Attends staff meetings and workshop/training seminars as
requested or required by facility and/or state rules and
regulations, including 80 hours of initial on the job orientation
training and ongoing annual required training.
* Bachelor's degree or relevant experience preferred.
* Part-time officers shall be considered for employment without a
degree; however, preference will be weighted to those with past
experience in the juvenile justice field and/or the completion of
college classes or military experience.
* Must be at least 21 years old
* All applicants must submit to criminal, Department of Child
Services, and sex offender registry background checks
* Ability to obtain/maintain certification in first-aid and CPR,
and formal training in crisis intervention, safety and security
* Ability to effectively supervise, direct, monitor and
appropriately interact with juvenile residents. Ability to enforce
facility behavioral management systems, de-escalate volatile
situations by means of conversation/negotiation, utilize physical
management and restraint techniques, resolve conflicts, and take
authoritative action as situation demands.
* Ability to supervise daily operation of the facility, including
areas such as direct child care, case management, and educational
and recreational programs.
* Ability to effectively communicate, cooperate in a team
environment, set and attain goals, make decisions and exercise
independent judgment according to established guidelines, being
sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities and
* Ability to effectively communicate written and oral instructions
with others in a team environment with minimum supervision.
* Ability to maintain detailed records, prepare related reports and
documents, and maintain confidentiality of facility reports and
information as required.
* Varies between Day Shift (7AM-3PM), Evening Shift (3PM-11PM) and
Midnight Shift (11pm-7AM)
* Flexible Schedule!
* Will work around school schedules and other jobs
*Work Location: *
* One location
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $16.00 per hour
* Flexible schedule
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Night shift
* Weekend availability
* Day Shift (Preferred)
* Night Shift (Preferred)
* Overnight Shift (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Porter County Juvenile Detention, Gary , Part-time Detention Officer, Other , Valparaiso, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!